Monday, January 9, 2012

day 8: black bean tacos with cilantro lime rice and avocado cream



I've been jonesing for tacos lately. And since I've been on an avocado kick recently, I thought, how about an avocado taco with rice? Sounds pretty good. Well, I took that idea and made it even better -- how about a black bean taco with cilantro lime rice with avocado cream? Yes, please!



The avocado cream is from Rebecca Katz's cookbook One Bite at a Time and let me tell you - there is no just having one bite of this. If it weren't for common decency and self-respect, I'd totally  jam a straw in that avo cream and hoover it ;-) Wait, who am I kidding? After taste testing the avo cream, I stood there and had a Billy Murray/What about Bob moment where I was literally doubling over in food-induced ecstasy yelling out, "mmm," and "yumm." Yes, it's that good.



The cilantro lime rice was also a success, in my humble opinion. I used jasmine rice because it's my fave and spiced that baby up with some cilantro, lime juice and a little Earth Balance, because everything in life needs a little buttah (think: Chipotle's rice but waaaay better and probably healthier).


Because I was really hungry and didn't have time to soak black beans, I used canned. But I strongly recommend using dried beans that have been soaked overnight. The difference in taste is night and day. 

OK, time to stop blabbing and share the recipe. You will love this one.

Peace and love --
~Jo

Black bean tacos with cilantro lime rice and avocado cream
2 flour tortillas (or any tortilla of your choice)
1 cup cilantro lime rice (recipe below)
1/2 cup cooked black beans
Avocado cream (recipe below)

Divide the rice between two flour tortillas and place in the middle. Do the same with the beans. Top with avocado cream. Fold and enjoy!

Cilantro lime rice
1 cup cooked rice (hot, if possible)
1 tablespoon Earth Balance
2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
1 tablespoon lime juice (about 1/2 lime, squeezed)

While the rice is still hot, stir in the Earth Balance so that it melts. Add the lime juice and cilantro and mix well. 

Avocado cream
From Rebecca Katz's One Bite at a Time cookbook
1 ripe avocado, pitted and peeled
1/4 cup loosely packed fresh cilantro
1 tablespoon water
1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lime juice
1/4 teaspoon sea salt

Combine all ingredients in a blender or food processor and process until smooth. You may want to add some extra lime juice or a pinch of salt.




No comments:

Post a Comment