Friday, January 13, 2012

day 12: green juice!!

I realize this post may make some of you shudder.

Green juice: you either love it or hate it. There's no in between.

Fans of green juice will talk your ear off about its refreshing nature and detox properties; critics of green juice will bash its taste and probably mention its lack of fiber. I happen to be playing for Team Green Juice -- I love it.


There's not a ton of fiber in green juice because you're separating the skin and the juice from the fruits and veggies, and only consuming the latter. But that's why I don't drink it 365 days a year, 3 meals per day.

Like everything else in life, I think green juice is best when enjoyed in moderation. There are days when I wake up and know it's a green juice morning. Or, after I've eaten not-so-great foods for too many days in a row, I know it's time to juice and give my body some time to detoxify and kick all of the crap (literally) out of my body.

Bottom line: it's the fastest way to get tons of mega-important nutrients into your body pronto.

I've tried many a-green juice recipes. Some of them have been great, some have been not so great. I don't know about you but I like my juice just a little bit sweet because it can be a tad off-putting staring at a glass of green swamp, knowing it's going to taste exactly how it looks.

For those of you who juice, I hope you'll try this recipe.
For those of you who don't juice, I hope you'l'l try this recipe soon!

Peace and love --
~Jo


Important note: You will need special equipment for this recipe aka, a juicer. I own a Breville Fountain Juicer and am very happy with it.


Joanna's refreshing green juice (good for beginners!)

Makes 40 ounces


Important note: I juice all organic fruits and vegetables. If you don't have access to organic produce, I suggest washing as much of the outsides you can (including the apples and lemons) and peel the cucumber.

1 bunch kale (about 6 stalks)
2 stalks celery
1 cucumber
2 fuji apples, quartered
1/2 lemon

Wash all fruits and veggies thoroughly. Pat dry.

Juice the ingredients in this order to avoid green splatter on your clothing, counters and floor: apples, lemon, kale (2 stalks at a time), celery, cucumber.

You may need to stop the juicer, push some of the pulp into the pulp container, and resume.

Pour into glasses and CHUG -- I mean, enjoy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment