Sunday, January 29, 2012

day 26: blueberry breakfast quinoa

Some of the reasons I adore the weekend is because I can sleep in (at least on Sundays), and have time to make a good breakfast. When possible, I like to start my day with protein not in the form of a shake, but real food.

So I've pushed my hearty-comforting-in-the-winter oatmeal aside and let quinoa take center stage in the form of blueberry breakfast quinoa.


Don't worry, I'm definitely not on the "are you getting enough protein" bandwagon. In fact, I think that Americans are consuming entirely too much protein on a daily basis. However, I find it helpful to start my day off with the building blocks of protein, also known as amino acids.

While the Incan Empire didn't survive, one of their greatest culinary discoveries did -- quinoa, a plant-based protein superfood. Quinoa contains all nine essential amino acids and it's gluten-free. No wonder the Incas considered it a sacred plant!

The next time you're thinking oatmeal for breakfast, try quinoa instead. You'll be surprised how much you won't miss the oats :)

Blueberry breakfast quinoa

Makes about 2 cups

1 cup quinoa
2 cups non-dairy milk (I used almond)
2-3 tablespoons maple syrup (depending on how sweet you want it)
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 1/2 cups blueberries

Rinse well and drain the quinoa. Place quinoa and non-dairy milk into a medium saucepan, cover, and bring to a boil. Watch the pot carefully, as it can quickly boil over and make your stovetop a mess.

Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for about 10 minutes until 3/4 of the liquid has been absorbed. Add the maple syrup and cinnamon and stir well. Cook for another 2-3 minutes. Add the blueberries and cook for another 2 minutes.

Remove from heat and serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment