Wednesday, January 18, 2012

day 17: fusili with artichokes, olives & sun-dried tomatoes

I love pasta. I mean, I really love pasta. In the whole nature vs. nurture debate, rice may be part of my DNA code, but pasta runs through my heart and soul, thanks to my Italian upbringing.

What I love about Italian food is its simplicity. You can boil some pasta, throw in a few ingredients, and have a healthy, hearty supper -- all in one bowl -- in about 20 minutes.

Take tonight, for instance. After spending an hour running up and down hills in the freezing cold (and dark!), I was craving something wholesome and didn't want to spend a lot of time in the kitchen. I was about to eat a banana and call it a night but somehow managed to drag myself to the pantry and found what I'd make for dinner in about 30 seconds.

Hello, fusili with artichokes, olives, and sun-dried tomatoes.



I think there's a misconception about Italian food here in the good U-S of A. When most Americans think of Italian food, they picture heavy cream sauces, butter and lots of meat. While that may be on the menu at your local Italian (Americanized) joint; real Italian food -- like the kind I grew up eating -- is full of fresh ingredients and lighter dishes that often go unnoticed. Don't get me wrong: we feast on heavy dishes, too, but there's more to life than fettuccine alfredo, 15-cheese lasagna and garlic bread.

The biggest challenge I've faced so far doing this month-long vegan diet is not eating cheese. In any given book on veganism, there's a chapter devoted to "life after cheese." But, is there? I don't care how many times I've read, "It's not the cheese you're actually craving, it's the texture and the salt," I still crave those silly pressed curds pretty much every second out of the day :)

Tonight's alternative to parmesan . . . grated walnuts with salt. Interesting. It definitely added texture, which was good. And I love walnuts, so it added a nice flavor.

Walnut sprinkle: Pour 1 cup of walnuts into a food processor,
with about 1 tablespoon of salt and pulse into small crumbles
Bottom line: you can make a healthy, filling and delicious pasta dish in minutes. And here's how. 


Fusili with artichokes, olives and sun-dried tomatoes

Serves 3, maybe 4

1 pound fusili
1 (2.25 ounce) can black olives, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 jar marinated artichokes, chopped
1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes, drained and chopped
1/4 cup parsley, chopped
1/4 cup cold pressed, extra virgin olive oil
Walnut sprinkle (optional)

Cook pasta according to package directions. 

Meanwhile, combine the olives, garlic, artichokes, tomatoes and parsley in a small bowl and set aside.

Once pasta is cooked and drained, transfer to a large serving bowl. Add the olive oil and stir until pasta is well coated. Pour the artichoke mixture in and stir well. 

Spoon into bowls and top with walnut sprinkle, if using. 

Press your thumb, index, middle and ring fingers together, bring to your mouth, and kiss. 
Say the words: buon appetito! And, do exactly that: enjoy your meal :)

Peace and love --
~Jo

No comments:

Post a Comment