Wednesday, January 25, 2012

day 22: spinach salad with cherry vinaigrette

Cherries remind me of The Land Before Time. Boy, did those baby pterodactyls love cherries. And for good reason. Cherries are delicious! They're also expensive, which is why I don't buy them often. Well, I got my hands on some cherries earlier this week and instead of rinsing and eating them one by one straight from the colander, I wanted to spice things up and try something new. 

Say hello to my little friend -- cherry vinaigrette, that is. 


While the dressing can be whisked together in a bowl, I usually make dressings in my handy dandy Tribest personal blender. I've owned several 'personal' blenders and the Tribest is my favorite by far. Not only is it BPA-free, you have the option to buy replacement parts, something not available with other blenders (like the Cuisinart Portable blender -- I don't recommend it!). Not only can this blender whip up dressings in less than 30 seconds, you can also make single servings of smoothies, grind coffee without lugging your Vitamix out, and it's portable -- so you can take it on vacation with you. Just what you needed, right? ;-)


I'm apparently on a spinach kick. I can't seem to get enough of it. So I grabbed a couple handfuls of some baby spinach and mixed it with walnuts, pomegranate seeds, and cucumber and topped it off with the homemade vinaigrette. Quick, easy, good. 

Here's the recipe. I hope its pink-ness doesn't turn you off. The unique tartness of the vinaigrette makes it totally worth it. 

Peace and love --
~Jo

Sweet red cherry vinaigrette

Makes about 1/2 cup

1/3 cup fresh cherries, pitted and chopped
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
1 teaspoon agave syrup
Salt and pepper to taste

Mix all ingredients in a bowl with a whisk. 

If using a blender, put all ingredients in blender and blend for about 20 seconds. 

Serve atop a nice, big, green salad and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment