Sunday, January 29, 2012

Day 25: Israeli Cucumber Pickles

I found a great recipe for homemade pickles and they are finger lickin' good (not to mention simple to prepare, too)!

I made a few tweaks to the recipe, like substituting agave for the sugar and omitting the green peppers, and they turned out great.

Cucumbers aren't in season now but I couldn't resist picking up a couple of packages of Israeli cucumbers during my last trip to the market. I made a salad and sliced up a cuke and it was good. And then I had a remaining 12 cukes just sitting pretty in the fridge and I wanted to do something other than juice them.

Hello, pickles. They're great as a snack, or on a salad, or with rice in the morning if you're making a Korean-style breakfast (don't forget the kimchi!).

I've already finished one jar :)


Homemade refrigerator pickles

Makes about 3 pints

1 cup white vinegar
10-12 Israeli cucumbers, sliced
1 medium onion, thinly sliced
1/4 cup agave syrup (optional)
1 tablespoon salt

In a medium saucepan, bring vinegar, agave (if using) and salt to a boil. Boil for 5-6 minutes.

Place the cucumbers and onions in a large mixing bowl and pour the vinegar mixture over the veggies, stirring well.

Transfer into sterile containers (I used clean Mason jars) and stick in the fridge.


No comments:

Post a Comment