Friday, January 27, 2012

day 23: red beans and rice

Beans, beans, they're good for your heart . . . they're also a culinary staple in almost every culture and yet I find myself neglecting these healthy legumes. Sometimes I get too comfortable cooking what's familiar and forget that the unfamiliar doesn't mean complicated, and that the unfamiliar is delicious (and nutritious).

Take rice and beans, for example. Simple and tasty, not to mention a complete protein!

Again, I think part of the reason why this dish is so good is because I soaked the beans ahead of time versus using canned. I realize I sound like a broken record but I think the difference is night and day. Just take my word for it.

This was a hearty one pot meal that I'll be adding to my favorite recipe list. Don't skip the cinnamon!

Peace and love --
~Jo

Red beans and rice

Makes a LOT

1 1/2 cups red kidney beans, soaked and drained (reserve 1/2 cup of soaking liquid)
14 ounce can of crushed tomatoes
1 medium yellow onion, diced
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1 1/2 cups rice
1 cup water
Salt and pepper

Heat the oil in large, flat bottomed pan over medium heat. Add the onions and garlic and saute until onions become translucent, about 5 minutes. If the garlic starts to turn brown, lower the heat a tad. Add the cinnamon and nutmeg and cook for another minute.

Add the beans, tomatoes and reserved bean soaking liquid. Cook for another minute or two. Add the rice and water. Bring to a boil then cover and simmer for about 20-25 minutes until rice is cooked and most of the liquid has been absorbed. 

Add salt and pepper to taste and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment